Sunday, February 15, 2009

The $3.50 Cupcake


We have the adorable cupcake shop in Eagle not too far from our house. They make cute and decorative cupcakes in a variety of flavors and sell them for about $3.50 each. Yes, you read that right. The gal whose position I took also started a local baking shop and deli and also features cupcakes for about $2.00 each although they are not as decorative as the cupcakes that they have at Lilly Jane’s. I recently decided that $2.00 and $3.00 cupcakes are highway robbery and vowed that I could make ones that were just as cute and creative. Alex and I stopped on Friday and pickled one up as a sample from Lilly Jane’s and then Saturday morning I picked up a cake decorating set and the ingredients to make my own frosting. Although I used a box mix for the actual cupcake base (to save time) I did make the frosting and decorated the cupcake by hand. I will admit I am no expert at cupcake decorating but I think for a first try I didn’t do too bad. Now that I have an idea of what I am doing a recent issue of Martha Stewart’s Living magazine had a tasty looking spread on Irresistible Cupcakes – 15 new recipes in the February 2009 edition. I think the next time I am in the mood to pick up cupcakes for friends or family I will try my hand at whipping up a batch again. I made an entire batch of cupcakes (about 18) for around $4.00.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails