Sunday, November 24, 2013

Spicy Cranberry Chutney - Very Tasty





I was ironing a few days ago and the show 5 Ingredient Fix was on the Food Network channel.  I have never seen the show before but was very intrigued by the Spicy Cranberry Chutney recipe the host was making.  Anthony picked up the cranberries for me and I grabbed the remaining ingredients yesterday and I whipped up a batch this morning.  I did decrease the jalapenos to only 3, removed the seeds and also increased the sugar to counterbalance some of the heat and tartness caused by the combination of the limes and cranberries.  The chutney is very testy with some heat on the backend which you do not normally get with cranberry sauce.  There are a lot of flavor notes here which really jazz up your taste buds.

Spicy Cranberry Chutney
(Food Network 2010)
www.foodnetwork.com

3 to 4 jalapenos, finely chopped (I used 3 and removed the seeds)
8 cups cranberries rinsed and drained (I used 3 full bags of fresh cranberries)
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 oranges, zested and juiced
1 1/2+ cups granulated sugar (I added an additional cup)
1 cup water
salt and fresh ground black pepper (optional)

Directions
Put all ingredients in sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.  reduce the heat and simmer until desired consistency, about 50 minutes.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails