Last night I whipped up a Sausage and Tortilla Breakfast Casserole, refrigerated overnight and then Alex slipped it into the oven while we were at the Turkey Day 5k Walk/Run. I have a favorite Christmas Breakfast Casserole that I traditionally make but I was in the mood for a new flavor sensation. I found this recipe on the Macheesmo (cooking with confidence) site: http://www.macheesmo.com
Alex and I both really liked it. Anthony still maintains that the original is his favorite. I think with either you can't go wrong. I am sharing his recipe here for easy reference. The Macheesmo site is a lot of fun with interesting recipes and food combinations. The picture above is from his web-site as I did not grab the camera fast enough before it was all cut up. Enjoy!
Sausage and Tortilla Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 (4 oz. can) green chile
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 small corn tortillas
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chives, garnish
2) Add diced onion and pepper to the sausage and cook for another 1-2 minutes until veggies soften. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in green chiles and remove from heat.
3) Whisk eggs together with milk, paprika, and red chile flakes. Roughly chop tortilla strips and grate cheese.
4) In an 8x8 baking dish, spread out about a third of the tortilla strips. Then top with half of the sausage mixture and half the cheese. Pour in half of the egg mixture. Repeat: tortillas, sausage, cheese, eggs. Top the dish with the last 1/3 of the tortilla strips.
5) Bake the casserole at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until the egg is set in the center of the dish. Remove and let cool slightly.
6) Serve casserole while hot with fresh chives.