Saturday, June 29, 2013

Changing Frame Color to Meet My Needs







 
 
A few weeks ago I purchased some really fun letters from Imagine Letters (http://www.imagineletters.com/).  You create words or names with alphabet photos.  The photos are available in sepia, color or black and white.  Since I selected sepia I wanted a frame that would complement the color in the pictures.  I found a frame for 50% off at Target and the transformation was as simple as a couple of layers of paint applied with a sea sponge.  I didn't want the frame to be smooth and perfect.  I was after distressed look and feel.
 
First I applied Gesso to the frame to help cover the silver.  The next two layers were brown and I finished with a layer of One Step Crackle paint.  Most of the time it took to create the frame was drying time vs. painting time.  I set up my work spot in the kitchen and would circle back to the frame ever few hours while doing other household projects to add the next layer.  This project did bother my right hand a bit but since it was not fine detail it did not hurt as badly as when I type, carve or do detailed projects.  This was a fun project that was inexpensive and easy.  This would be a great way to make over thrift store frames.
 
 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails